The F.U.N. Place Recipe Box Archives
Cornish Meat Pasties
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1/4 cup scraped suet
- 1 1/4 lbs coarsely ground beef
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup rutabaga (swede), diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- salt and pepper
(1) Put the flour in a bowl and cut in the shortening, lard, and suet. Add just enough water to make a soft dough.
(2) Divide the dough into four parts and roll out each piece into a circle about the size of a dinner plate.
(3) Crumble the meat into a bowl and stir in the potatoes, onion, rutabaga, and carrot.
(4) Divide the mixture into four parts, putting some on one side of each piece of dough. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
(5) Fold the pastry over the filling to make half-moon shaped pies. Seal the edges and cut a couple of small slits on the top.
(6) Bake on a cookie sheet at 375 deg.F for 30 to 35 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 deg. F and bake 15 more minutes.
Posted by m.domin on February 22, 1999
Back to The F.U.N. Place