The F.U.N. Place Recipe Box Archives
- 1 cup unsifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.In medium sized bowl, combine cocoa
with boiling water, mixing with wire
whisk until smooth. Cool completely.
Sift flour with baking soda, baking
powder and salt. Preheat oven to
350 degrees. Grease well and lightly
flour three 9" x 1 1/2" layer cake pans.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high
speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs and
vanilla until light (about 5 minutes). At
low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately
with cocoa mixture. Do not overbeat.
3. Divide batter evenly into prepared
cake pans, smooth the top. Bake
25 to 30 minutes or until surface
springs back when gently pressed
with fingertip. Cool in pans 10
minutes. Carefully loosen sides,
remove from pans and completely
cool on wire racks.
4. Frosting: In medium sized saucepan,
combine chocolate pieces, cream and
butter, stir over medium heat until
smooth. Remove from heat. With
whisk, blend in 2 1/2 cups confectioners'
sugar. In bowl set over ice, beat until
frosting holds it's shape.
5. Filling: Whip cream with confectioners'
sugar and vanilla, refrigerate. Assemble
cake: On plate, place a layer top side
down, spread with half the cream. Place
second layer top side down, spread with
other half of the cream. Place third layer
top side up.
6. With spatula, frost the sides first.
Frost top with remaining frosting.
Refrigerate at least one hour
Posted by Homebound on February 10, 1999
Back to The F.U.N. Place