The F.U.N. Place Recipe Box Archives
This is a variation of a recipe I got from the frugal gourmet:
Throw all ingredients into an oversized bowl. (A cake lid works great) Use your hands to mix. After mixing, store in a glass jar.
(Makes about 1 gallon). Tastes best after sitting refrigerated about 12-24 hours. After making it to the recipe once, vary
ingredients to taste. Can be caned in the pressure cooker and stored like store-bought salsa, but doesn't taste as fresh.
- 8 large firm tomatoes, coarsely diced
- 3 large onions (sweet if possible) diced
- 1 bundle of cilantro (not parsley), washed & diced fine
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 5-10 garlic toes (depending upon taste)
- 5 jalapeno peppers (seeds removed unless you want it hot)dice fine
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vinegar
Also, try adding corn, diced apple, diced mango or other fruits for a great garnish. (Especially seafood).
Also, try putting about 1 cup of salsa in a microwave safe bowl. Add about 10-20 small, peeled raw shrimp. Microwave until
the shrimp are done (5-10 minutes). Tastes WONDERFUL!
Posted by Barry on December 19, 1998
Back to The F.U.N. Place