St. Patrick's Day
Who Was "St. Patrick"
How to find a Leprechaun
Kiss the Blarney Stone
Old Irish Laws
Irish Word Puzzle
Back to The F.U.N. Place
A Leprechaun is an "elf". The elf family consists of Brownies of Scotland, Leprechauns of Ireland, Trolls and Gnomes of Scandinavia, and the Pixies, Pookas, Knockers, Dulachans, Cluricanes, Red Caps and Bogles of the British Isles.
A Leprechaun is of a much smaller stature, he is uglier, older, and of a more temperamental nature than his fairy counterparts. According to legend, leprechauns are aloof and unfriendly, live alone, and pass the time making shoes...they also possess a hidden pot of gold. And, he is almost always a male of the species.
Looks like a small, old man (about 2 feet tall), often dressed like a shoemaker,with a cocked hat and a leather apron.
What do Leprechauns do?
The name leprechaun comes from the Irish "Leith bhroyan" or "Leith phroyan" meaning "one shoemaker", as he is usually seen working on only one shoe. He is erroneously called the "fairy shoemaker" but he is really an elf and not a fairy. Truly, the Leprechaun is a shoemaker, for he has made shoes for the fairies non-stop for centuries. He is also very rich and he covets his wealth.
Why would you want to catch a Leprechaun?
Treasure hunters can often track down a leprechaun by the sound of his shoemaker's hammer. If caught, he can be forced (with the threat of bodily violence) to reveal the whereabouts of his treasure, but the captor must keep their eyes on him every second. If the captor's eyes leave the leprechaun (and he often tricks them into looking away), he vanishes and all hopes of finding the treasure are lost.
How to find a Leprechaun!
Leprechauns can be anywhere. How can you tell if you find one? We have provided a check list below for you to refer to when searching or wondering if you have met a Leprechaun. Remember: if you catch him he must tell you where his treasure is!
Leprechaun Check List
- he is less than two feet tall
- he has a pot of gold (NOTE: some leprechauns have lost theirs)
- he is dressed in green
- he has a beard
- he loves the cereal Lucky Charms
- his ancestors aren't any taller than he is
- he has a garden of four leaf clovers
- he is of Irish descent
- he sometimes wears really tall shoes to look normal
- he's been under a rock for the past few years
- he is often called a smurf
- he resembles an elf (leprechauns are a race of elves)
- he has an ant as a best friend
- he refers to a turtle as a tank or a mouse as a car
The following is a list of disabilities that may be associated with being a leprechaun.
- may drowned in a light rain
- might float away in a breezy day
- may get buried in a snowstorm
- needs to watch out for birds that could drop a big heavy feather
- can't spell leprechaun!
Good Luck in your Search!
(If you can't find your own, we have one for your computer!)
Click Below and Download!
Leprechaun Screen Saver